Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Out On the Town, and Bowling with Euros

So I haven't updated in a while, and figured everyone would just be dying to know what's going on in my life.  Actually I'm fairly certain most people read this just to get a glimpse into the life of Speedle, but since it's my blog I'll pretend ya'll love me too.


Yes, there is the legend himself.

We've been awaiting a snowstorm out here, as the mountain's getting a bit icy, so we haven't been out to slopes in a couple of days now.  Instead we've been finding some other things to do in the fabulous Lake Tahoe.  After a pretty terrible Friday/Saturday of poker, we all decided to go out and get hammered in style.  Speedle wore the infamous 12 piece baller suit, and Dmitri wore white shoes with Velcro.  Sweedish people are weirdos.  Unfortunately, all of the tables at every club in town were booked that night, and we were stuck standing at the door.

Well, I shouldn't say all the tables, because when Chuck Liddell walked up with some hot blonde, I'm fairly certain they were given a table right away.  I considered fighting him for it, but this image kept fluttering through my head...



The night proceeded to get worse as Ryan didn't have his passport with him, and every bar in town refused to serve him with just his Canadian ID.  Which was somewhat funny as he's the oldest one in the house by about 3 years.


Eventually at 2am or so, we finally got a table at a club in Montbleu, which was pretty awesome, right on the dance floor, and super cheap.  Unfortunately, there were probably 8 guys in the place for every girl and we were all a bit too messed up to actually talk to anyone.  It was like being back at Georgia Tech, where this happens just about every weekend!

The night continued with some more drinks, and some horseracing game which ended up being pretty awesome.  You bet quarters on which two of these little plastic horses are going to win a race every 30 seconds.  Basically it's a super cheap way to get free drinks and get rowdy as the little horses battle for glory. Some locals were upset at how excited Speedle and I were getting over this game, but that's really just their loss.

A couple nights ago we went bowling, it was Speedle's first time.  Drinking and hilarity ensued.  The first game, Dmitri and I took down Ryanmack and Speedle.  The Portuguese legend put up a 75 or so, pretty decent for his first game ever.  The next game we switched it up and Speedle and I took down the other two. We were clearly gambling as is standard for just about everything out here, and things were going well.  Until game 3.  I drew Speedle as a partner again, and he put up a whopping 23.  At least 3 different times during the game I offered him a $1,000 bet that he wouldn't hit 1 pin.  He denied each time, and threw a gutter each time.  So that was kind of unfortunate for me.

I'm fairly certain we were the last people at the alley that night.  A few pitchers and pizza and goombay's later, and an awesome game of pool vs. Dmitri where I ran the table (thanks bro!), we found ourselves back at the Montbleu horseracing game.  We ran good and made a couple hundred dollars including one race where I bet the maximum on the biggest dog and hit, and broke the machine.  The attendant had to come over and pay me in $100's from a 25c machine.  The old regulars in the game were not thrilled with our winning, or our drunkenness for that matter.

Well, that's about what we've been getting up to out here.  I'm just waking up to about 6" of fresh powder so it'll likely be a long day on the mountain for us.  Speedle still hasn't been out on the slopes yet, and I have a bet against him that he won't ski one run the entire trip.  It'll likely be the easiest $500 i've ever made.

Next week we're headed down to West Palm Beach, Florida for a World Series of Poker Circuit event.  I've heard the games are amazing down there as the recently changed some of the poker regulations making it much easier to play.  I'll likely play the $1.5k main event and maybe a few others, but really just want to get some beach time in and see some buddies that I haven't seen in forever.  Oh and the legend Vinivici lives there so we'll likely have to go check out his sick pad.  And by that I mean his parent's house!  Sorry Vini had to take the shot, especially after reading about your favorite hand from 2010.

edit:  I'm going to get one of those helmet cameras, so hopefully I can post some boarding videos in upcoming posts.  Maybe I'll just wear it whenever we go out as well, as that would probably be more entertaining.

- Dan...iel

2 comments:

  1. helmet camera would be sick. When the hell you start referring to yourself as 'Dan'? no good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. better? also, pretty sure i'm in for bonnaroo this year.

    ReplyDelete