Sunday, January 30, 2011

Broken Ass, and Some Swings

Well it took me about a week to have my first snowboarding injury.  We had been watching X-Games on ESPN2 all week, and seeing these guys easily pull off jumps and grinds, I couldn't wait to get out there and try some of it myself.  We headed out the part of the mountain that had a park run, and I tried to grind a box near the top of the run.  Now, any snowboard instructor would likely tell a beginner/intermediate snowboarder to just do a normal 50-50 grind, where you simply ollie onto the box and keep the board parallel to the grind.  However, since "everything I do, I do it big" I went for a rock-n-roll grind where we come in normal, and do a partial spin in midair before landing, and then ride down the box with the board perpendicular to the rail.  Ok you probably aren't following this, so I will help.

What I should have done...


What I tried to do...


What ended up happening...





Ok, so it wasn't exactly like that.  But, midair I kind of forgot to put the board on the box, so I ended up landing completely on my lower back / butt on top of the box.  Not the worst injury, but it's 2 days later now and sitting still isn't the most fun thing to do.   Anyway, we got our first storm last night and it's still snowing now, so the mountain is likely awesome.  I don't think 1 little broken ass cheek is gonna keep me off the mountain today!

Oh, and I finally took a couple pictures of the place to show everyone.  It's pretty much always a mess as 4 constantly drunken poker players have trouble keeping a place clean, (see Vegas blogs from last Summer) but I figured ya'll would wanna check it out anyway.

The living room work area.  Real chairs on the way!

More of the living room, and our busto PS3.



Kitchen!  Probably the cleanest it'll be the whole trip.


Hot tub on da porch.


View from the balcony.


My master bedroom.



And since it stormed last night, I took another balcony picture this morning...


Looks like we got a bunch of inches, but I have no idea how many.  Hopefully there's some powder out there today when we finally make it out.  The rest of the house ended up going out and getting trashed at the club last night, but I had had a long day and lost a bunch and wasn't really in the partying mood so I stayed in.  But looking around right now I see a bunch of drunken passed out people, so who knows if a ski day is on the horizon.

As for poker, January is just about wrapped up and my results have been decent.  I made a bunch online before PCA, lost a ton at PCA, and was up a lot out here in Tahoe before a pretty brutal day yesterday.  It seems when things go wrong, they usually go wrong in clumps, and almost always at the high stakes of the mix I am playing (5/10 or 10/20).  I guess it's just part of what comes with mixing stakes, but it hurts to win a flip for $200 and then lose a 80/20 for $1k a few seconds later.  And then lose a flip at 5/10, and then get set under setted at 5/10, and then tilt happens and suddenly I'm down nearly 5 figures and breaking things seems like a viable plan.  Maybe I should try this out everytime I lose a couple of stacks in succession and begin to feel the blood boiling.

CALLLLMMMMMMMM!


Hopefully I can get a bunch of hands in today as the games have seemed incredibly good the past few days, possibly as a result of Poker Stars announcing the death of the 20-50bb tables on Feb 10th.  I realize you non-poker folk have no freaking clue what I'm talking about here, but basically it's a good change as it keep certain players from exploiting the game in ways that it was never designed to be played.  So hopefully I can get back on track and pump out some big profits in the upcoming months!



As for the rest of this week, I'm headed back to Atlanta on either Tuesday or Wednesday, as I have to get a few things done back home, and want to see the parents and some friends.   And my birthday is on Thursday so I'll be heading out around town with a bunch of people and hopefully won't remember any of it on Friday. I guess I'll be close to an old fart in the online poker world turning 23 and all.

Till next time,
- notontilt

2 comments: