Friday, January 28, 2011

Gettin' settled in Tahoe, about to become famous video maker for internets

I think the title just about says it all.  We've been out here for about a week now, but haven't really gotten into too many shenanigans.  Speedle's a bit upset as we've only gone out and gotten wasted once, but he'll get his wish soon enough.


Interesting sidenote, Speedle was unable to finish the shot of vodka in this restaurant and had to be helped out by the one and only BLAABAR.  Somehow, he was then cutoff from drinking the poker room before he even had 1 drink.  Well done sir.

Besides for that night the rest of the days have been pretty much the same.  Wake up, go out for breakfast, lose credit card roulette and have to pay for everyone's meals, hit the slopes for a couple hours, then come home and grind for a couple more hours.  After a pretty bad start to the month losing about 10k online out here, I've turned it around and am now up somewhere near that amount.  Which is good, because we can't stop buying stuff for the house out here, so I need to win or I'll likely have to come home soon and live with the parents.  Kidding, maybe...

A couple nights ago we went out to the nice sushi place in town called Naked Fish, which was absolutely amazing.  I don't think it's the same as the Naked Fish in Las Vegas, but I think I liked this one even better.


Even with some awesome appetizers, we still managed to devour that plate pretty quickly.  Even better than the food was the fact that I actually didn't have to pay for the meal this time.  Speedle won the honors of paying for this one, and it was the biggest bill of the trip so far.  I'm ballparking here, but I think this is breakdown of who's payed for meals so far...

Me: 5
Speedle: 2
Ryanmack: 1
Dmitri: 0

Very rigged!

Yesterday, Speedle finally bought some warm clothes and made it out onto the mountain for the first time.  He'd never seen snow 7 days ago and now he was stomping into a set of skis and getting ready to hit up some black diamonds.  Ok, I'm kidding a bit there, he was on the bunny slope the whole day.  And it was ugly :).   After a few hours of failing there, he resorted to pounding a brewski and waiting for us to finish up on the slopes.  I think we're gonna try and put him on a snowboard today, so hopefully that works out better and I have another boarder to hang out with as the other two guys in the house both ski.

Some Speedle pics:




He's looking very pro in the gear however.  Dmitri is the one in black doing circles around speedlebot.  I'm finally starting to really feel comfortable on my board now too, which is great.  I think we've hit every run on Heavenly that's been open in the last week (lack of snow and 50 degree days have iced up some of the double diamonds) and have been getting better everyday.  We went to the park run the other day and I failed pretty miserably, so hitting some boxes, rails, and jumps is next on the agenda.  Hopefully I can spend some less time on the ground this time!


Well that's about it for the Tahoe stuff.

In other news, I'm about to start my first video series for Pokernews Strategy.  The team of pros with PNS is absolutely amazing, and I've had the chance to meet a couple of them which was definitely a blast.  I may have almost killed nanonoko when I turned the wrong way down a one way highway with him in the back, but I think we're cool.  If not then I may have an internet legend out to get me!



But back to my videos.  I'll likely be putting out about 2-4 videos in the next week or two, likely at micro or small stakes full ring.  Ideally I'd like to avoid making them over 200nl as I don't really want to give away a ton of my thought process to the small group of regulars that I play with everyday, but as long as I stay below 400nl for now I don't think that'll be much of a problem.

If I get bored making the videos by myself, I may try and see if someone would be interested in having me sweat them for a video or possibly get a collection of hands from a bunch of players to analyze.  In my past video making experience, things can be pretty dull if no interesting spots come up for an hour, so hopefully I can find a way to make these interesting and watchable.

If you aren't already a member at Pokernews Strategy, I'd definitely recommend heading over there.  I've already listed one of the big name pros, but there are tons more, and soon I'll have videos up there as well.  Although most of these guys have made close to 10x more than me in their poker careers, so if you just want to watch their videos I won't be too disappointed.  Here's the link to check it out...

Pokernews Strategy

And now I must decide if I want to go boarding before poker, or vice versa.  It's a rough life right now :)

- Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment