Friday, March 18, 2011

Vegas, ugh

Let me start this blog off by saying that I really don't like Vegas all that much.  You may think it'd be my Mecca given the whole 'you play poker for a living' thing, but the city itself is just too much for me.  Most of this stems from the fact that I lived a ridiculously crazy 2 months there last summer, and every trip I've made to Vegas since then has just brought back shitty memories of lighting way too much money on fire.

I was hoping this trip would be a bit different.  My good buddy Nolan randomly decided he wanted to go for a few days and wanted someone to share a hotel room with.  Given that I do absolutely nothing with my life, it seemed like a good chance to get down there for a couple days and hopefully not spew money like I usually do. Well, we failed pretty miserably at that part right from the get go.  Speedle and Blaabar ended up wanting to go as well so we just ended up booking a Penthouse Suite at the Mirage.  I know what your thinking, "don't spew money... Penthouse?"  It was worth it however.  The room was awesome (Kim Kardashian was staying next door), and we didn't really spend entirely too much on the room.

I don't think I took any pictures of the room itself, but it was gigantic with 2 master bedrooms and a living room area that was about twice the size of normal Vegas hotel rooms.  We were also at the top of the Mirage which was pretty awesome.


Now, the plan was to not play any poker, and just go see a show and have some nice dinners.  Unfortunately, nothing in my life seems to go as planned and I found myself playing a $500 poker tournament at the Wynn the 1st day we were in town.  I'll save a everyone reading a bunch of time talking about boring poker hands and such, but this was the outcome...


Yeahhhhhhhhh, wooooooooooooooooo.  We ended up chopping the remaining prize pool when there were 5 people left, and then I went on to win the whole thing for about $16,000 and that cool looking trophy thing.  Of course, Blaabar swapped 10% with me again so although he busted just short of the money, he still made over $1k in the tourney.  What a luckbox.  Oh, I guess it wasn't too lucky when I busted him with A3 vs. his QQ all in preflop.  Sorry buddy, but clearly a straight is better than a pair.

So the tourney ended up taking up most of the time on the trip.  The guy I beat heads up was a pretty nice guy and was in town with a couple of friends so I took everyone out that night.  I was more than content just getting bombed playing beer pong at O'Sheas, but Speedle was with us, so naturally we ended up at Sapphire.  A bunch of bottles and champagne rooms later, I was reminded of why I hate Vegas so much.



So that's about it for this time.  I'm definitely on a major heater in live poker with 2 'wins' in my last 3 live events, and I'm pretty excited to play some more live tourneys.  The next one on my schedule is the EPT Grand Final in Madrid on May 5th, but I'm eying an EPT tourney in San Remo, Italy the week before that should be a lot of fun and a pretty soft field.  I've never been to Europe and I'm planning on spending the majority of May over there, so expect some cool pictures at the very least in upcoming blogs.

I've got a few buddies in Tahoe right now, and one of them has a GoPro camera that attaches to a snowboard helmet, so we've got some interesting videos of snowboard action.  Hopefully I can get a few of them onto my computer and I'll throw them in the next post.  From what I've seen they're rather excellent given that I've been very much inebriated every time I've worn the camera.

Finally, although I had planned on being out in Tahoe until April 20th, I'm going to be coming home much earlier, probably sometime in the middle of next week.  I'm about ready to be out of the cold, and I think I've snowboarded plenty for one trip.  So watch out ATL, this busto ass clown in about to come home (for a whole month this time!)

- Weinman

5 comments:

  1. I wish we put the gopro on speedle when he got kicked out of the bunny ranch, pre coitus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. started a blog last month, hoping it can be close to as good as yours, added yours to my blogroll, hoping you could do the same, this is DRoseMJD btw, been playing plo for last 5 months ish so maybe dont remember me

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to leave link ldo
    http://www.drosemjd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you're blogging. That is cool! By law you are required to link a fellow joo's blog and vv.

    http://sandhop.wordpress.com/

    Good luck in life.

    ReplyDelete